Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Horns and boxes

  1. #1
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The M500/9815 used an unenclosed MR994 with no apparent problems, so I'd go with it. I think for the thin 'glass horns though, either sufficient damping or a subenclosure is appropriate when installing them in LF boxes.

  2. #2
    Hostboard Member thinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2004
    Posts
    87
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've always built either a separate or divided enclosure for the horn section of speaker enclosures, separating it from the low frequency driver. I'm currently setting up some units that will be using the MR994A horns, that are molded from the GE Noryl plastic. The wall thickness of these is around 3/8 inch, giving me the feeling that they will be fairly rigid with the wall of the horn itself, without being divided off with a wood structure. Has anyone tried this or similar construction? It would save a bit on weight and size both, since the extra volume would be added to the volume of the low frequency chamber, but on the other hand, we don't want the walls of the horn acting like a lowfrequency transducer either. Any thoughts?

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member thinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2004
    Posts
    87
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the help, I figure to add an extra measure of insurance, I'll put a layer of something like Dynamat on the outside of the horns, and call it good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.